Re: PoW (Re: Attack research on HTTP/2 implementations)

From: Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 00:11:03 +0000
To: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

> Most of these never went anywhere for a range of reasons.  One of those
> being that proof of work is an abomination (and I don't say that lightly).

in cryptocurrency circles, PoW is Proof of Waste. and yes, it's an
abomination. we ran into something similar in NSEC3 for DNSSEC, which
was not only hard to implement interoperably, but also hard to operate
correctly, and ultimately irrelevant even in these pre-quantum times.

(just sayin'.)

--
Paul Vixie