Re: Negotiating Window Limits for Content Encodings

On 8/5/21 10:02 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> That syntax is not allowed in RFC 7231; in "Accept-Encoding", the
> content codings can have a weight, but no further parameters.

Ah, well that is hard news. Thank you for pointing this out! I totally
missed that "Accept-Encoding" is not a generic list of parameterized tokens.

I wonder whether that restriction makes sense, or if we should relax it.
Too bad the ship has already sailed on draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics! I
have opened an issue on the http-core GitHub [0] to discuss that
question. That feels like a more appropriate place to keep track of that
topic, given that it is potentially a very long term one while we wait
for a new rev of the HTTP core. Although maybe it will be a very short
one, if it gets shot down immediately. :)

Thanks,
Felix

[0] https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues/932