Re: Negotiating Window Limits for Content Encodings

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, at 12:38, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Given what you said about Brotli, it seems that it should be generic,
> though it's not certain that such an argument easily applies to all
> algorithms.

I would avoid making this truly generic, but there is value in establishing a convention.  If brotli wants to use the same concept, but set w=18 to mean something else, that's probably OK.  What the convention will mean is that you can build software that knows that there is a w parameter and that Accept-Encoding: foo;w=n is an acceptable match for Content-Encoding: foo;w=m for any m <= n.  That is generally applicable logic, even if it has to be applied on a per-format basis.

(It can't be truly generic as identity;w=3 means nothing, there are other content-codings for which w would be meaningless, and we haven't defined gzip;w=4.)