Re: Signature [protocol element] identifiers

After some feedback, I pushed an update to this PR that puts “@request-target” back in place of “@request-origin” because that was a bad name. The “@request-target” now has a value that aligns better with HTTP Semantics than the old constructed string value that included the method. I also added in a “@target-uri” identifier that would let the signer throw the entire URI in as a single value, which might be easier for some applications of this spec. As always, the goal is to have robustness through multiple parts that fit different circumstances.

And finally, we’ve added in a blurb, roughly based on the other thread, that allows most of the request-focused identifiers to also be used in a response by referring to the value that was in the request that triggered the response. I couldn’t find an accepted term for this construct, is there one? So let’s say:

REQUEST (A) is received by an HTTP server that generates RESPONSE(B) and sends it back. What do we call the relationship between A and B? If I’m signing B with some of A’s content, which we’re looking at  allowing now, how do we describe that link? If the server then gets REQUEST(C), we don’t want the response to include anything from A, but instead only reference C specifically.

Even if we do continue to allow this type of connection between individual components like this, I still want to allow an explicit signing of a request signature (so we sign A’s signature as part of creating the signature for B).

 — Justin