Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-cache-trailers-00.txt

> On 26 Mar 2021, at 6:02 pm, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
> --------
> Mark Nottingham writes:
>
>> Did the mega-thread tire people out on this topic?
>
> I still think it is a fundamentally bad idea to try to solve the
> header/trailer consistency problem using the salami-method.
>
> I prefer a simple clear-cut rule which leaved only a single
> authoritative instance of any given field.
>
> For instance:
>
>    If a field is present in the header it SHALL be ignored in the trailer.

That's a fundamentally different approach to trailers, and would require a much bigger effort to gain consensus (because it limits *all* trailers). You're concerned about 'salami tactics', I'm concerned about boiling the ocean on a topic where we have limited resources.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/