Re: FYI: Oblivious HTTP

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021, at 06:37, Ben Schwartz wrote:
> The DNS use case is clear enough to me. For telemetry, the utility
> seems much lower.  Telemetry is (by definition?) not user-visible, so
> it's typically not latency-sensitive.  Spending one or two RTTs for a
> standard TLS connection will not substantially impair the utility of
> the telemetry.

So telemetry does not directly benefit from the latency gains here, but it does benefit from the reduced cryptographic overheads.  Those are non-trivial.

> Telemetry also typically doesn't require a reply from the server.

It absolutely does.  Clients need to know that it was received and accepted.  I know that you might tolerate a little loss here and there, but when you drop basic reliability feedback like this you lose more than I think we'd be willing to tolerate.  You introduce bias of a very particular type too.