Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

Am 04.04.2021 um 20:05 schrieb Juan Barriteau:
> Maybe mine are silly questions, I'm pretty sure I have a lack of
> context, but I'll risk it, just don't be too harsh with the stranger...

Welcome to this Working Group. You sent feedback, so you aren't a
stranger anymore :-)

> Why not simply name SEND this method which has body but is not intended
> to change the state of the resource? I perceive a method named like this
> as a natural companion for the current standard methods.

The reason for picking "SEARCH" in the initial draft was that this
method name is already registered, so we don't have to add yet another
one with essentially the same semantics. And furthermore, there's
already code out there which understands that SEARCH is safe and thus
can be safely retried.

That said, some people are unhappy with that, so the name of the
internet draft deliberately was chosen so that *if* we pick a different
name we don't end up with a funny mismatch.

Best regards, Julian