Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

Maybe mine are silly questions, I'm pretty sure I have a lack of context, but I'll risk it, just don't be too harsh with the stranger...

Why not simply name SEND this method which has body but is not intended to change the state of the resource? I perceive a method named like this as a natural companion for the current standard methods.

If I were a server I would feel comfortable receiving a request preceded for a SEND and proclaiming "my body contains a search query" or a SEND saying "my body contains some equations to solve".

But as a server I neither would have problems receiving those same requests simply using SEARCH and CALC methods respectively, I got it, having a SEARCH method could be efficient from the application perspective because the semantic obviousness dispenses the need to explain what is the body for, same as having a CALC method would do.

But, Isn't it better to standardize something more "general" like the SEND and emphasize and reinforce the existing permit to use non-standard methods? as far as I understand, and please, excuse me and bring me to the light if I'm wrong, I should be able to use SEARCH, CALC, CONVERT, BEAUTIFY, COMPRESS, ENCRYPT, TRANSFORM, EVALUATE, ARMONIZE, CONVERT, NORMALIZE, TRANSLATE, PRETTIFY, ANAGRAMIZE, MINIFY, COMPILE, CONCATENATE, MAKETEA or any other non-standard method if it works for me and and my resources, that without worrying about firewalls and servers rejecting them or the OpenAPI Initiative not supporting them. Is it like that?

Best regards,

Juan