RE: Call for Adoption: HTTP/2 Bis

These feed on each other.  Several of the proposed features require or might require a new ALPN.  That's an argument against them so long as we don't have to do a new ALPN otherwise.  If, however, we agree to do something that requires a new ALPN token then that argument against the others goes away and might change the balance of consensus.

That said, I agree with you that GREASE is the only maybe-requires feature that seems to have enough drive to push it over the edge regardless.  If we come to the point where a new ALPN is required, we could re-evaluate those other things.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 7:18 PM
To: Mike Bishop <mbishop@evequefou.be>
Cc: Ian Swett <ianswett@google.com>; David Benjamin <davidben@chromium.org>; Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>; Bence Béky <bnc@google.com>; HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>; Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>
Subject: Re: Call for Adoption: HTTP/2 Bis

Hey Mike,

I agree that the discussion on grease needs to play out, and I can see a future where we come to consensus that a new ALPN identifier is useful in serving that goal. However, I don't think it's useful to talk about other breaking changes before that consensus (if it happens), based on the lack of interest in them in the discussion so far. Also, if we do gain that consensus, it would be good to have an agreement about whether other breaking changes are suddenly back on the table.

Does that make sense, and if so, can we modify the scope to capture it (with a direction on the latter question)?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/