Re: Call for Adoption: SEARCH method

Am 19.11.2020 um 09:19 schrieb Greg Wilkins:
> Then why don't we just define the semantics of  GET's may have bodies.

My understanding is that we won't be able to do that, because it would
not work everywhere. If we found out that not to be true, it would be an
alternative.

> A client that wishes to send a SEARCH or a GET with a body will equally
> have to expect a 4xx if something in the path doesn't expect either.
>
>   The main difference is that a GET with a body may receive a response
> that simply ignored the body and the client may not be able to determine
> that.  But then equally it is not possible to tell if a SEARCH method
> has been simply routed to a GET implementation and the body equally
> ignored.   If this is a concern, then perhaps defining a response header
> that indicates the request body was considered is a better way forward?

The subtle difference here is that a server that ignores the body on GET
currently is conformant, while a server that treats SEARCH as GET is buggy.

The suggestion with the response header field although is interesting.

Best regards, Julian