From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 5:37 PM
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Cc: Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>
Subject: For discussion: scope for AltSvc and ORIGIN bis efforts

At the interim, we discussed Mike's draft to revise some HTTP/2 extensions to
work with HTTP/3:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-bishop-httpbis-altsvc-quic

After discussion, the most viable way forward seemed to be to revise both of
those documents to include HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 mechanisms, rather than just
creating a "patch" RFC that updates them for HTTP/3.

The Chairs support doing so, but want to see a well-defined scope of work for
the effort.

As a starting point, we believe that the following should be in-scope for the
effort:

* Porting the ORIGIN and ALTSVC frames to HTTP/3
* Incorporating errata
* Editorial improvements

Other changes would be out of scope. In particular, anything that is
incompatible with the current definition or use of these frames in HTTP/2
would not be suitable.

However, improvements in how they are specified could be in-scope, provided
that there is strong consensus to include them.

Comments on this scope -- including proposals for additions -- are welcome;
we'll issue a Call for Adoption if we can get to a general agreement about
that.

Cheers,

Mark and Tommy