Re: How to express no matching results in HTTP SEARH method?

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 06:53:49PM -0700, Austin Wright wrote:

> > On Nov 4, 2020, at 15:30, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2020-11-04, at 21:49, Austin Wright <aaa@bzfx.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> A 204 is identical to sending a 200 response with Content-Length: 0
> >
> > ?
> >
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-6.3.5
> >
> > And it's not like the spec is confabulating here:
> >
> > https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/204
> >
> > Grüße, Carsten
> >

> What's the question, exactly?
>
> Maybe I'm being unclear. In responses without a Content-Length or
> Transfer-Encoding header, normally the response message only ends when the
> TCP connection is terminated. The exception is a 204; the next response
> begins immediately when the headers end.

Absolutely. 204 is a 200 with no payload. Its use is mainly for methods
which don't expect a response, but like any 2xx it can be simplified to
the equivalent 200 by agents which don't care about specific statuses,
thus it simplifies as a 200 with no payload.

Willy