Re: Structured Fields: whitespace in binary content

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 6:17 AM Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't love this change. It's a frustrating additional complexity in
> the parser, and it seems unfortunate that we're adding it for reasons
> that have nothing to do with whether we want it and everything to do
> with limitations of the format we publish the spec in. I think we
> shouldn't do it because if we wrote down in the RFC _why_ SP is
> allowed, we'd feel fairly silly.
>
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 08:49, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> >
> > Here's the diff:
> >   https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/1322/files
> >
> > There are other ways to do this, of course, and I suspect that many
> implementations will just feed the SP into their base64 parser, if they're
> confident it will handle it well.

I just checked, and Chromium's base64 implementation (
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:third_party/modp_b64/modp_b64.cc;
originally
http://web.archive.org/web/20060617172031/http://modp.com/release/base64/)
does not accept whitespace in base64-encoded data. Not that it's
necessarily a huge engineering task to produce or switch to a decoder which
does, but not trivial either. I'm not as familiar with Gecko source code,
but I did find at least one decoder in that source tree with the same
issues.