RE: H2 vs responses which should not carry any payload

Yes, client-role, not client machines.  Thanks for the details, Eric!

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Lawrence <Eric.Lawrence@microsoft.com>
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 10:57 AM
To: Bence Béky <bnc@chromium.org>; Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>; Mike Bishop <mbishop@evequefou.be>
Subject: RE: H2 vs responses which should not carry any payload

The term "client-only stack" is potentially ambiguous. WinHTTP can and is sometimes used as a HTTP client running on servers.

In the case in question (broken Microsoft's web properties in spring), the problem was is that the http.sys HTTP Server code on our "Azure front door" servers would accept the client's H2 request, see the header block did not set the END_STREAM flag indicating that there was no body, and convert that request to a GET with a Transfer-Encoding: chunked. That request was then handed off to WinHTTP for forwarding to the backend servers, but WinHTTP would reject the request because it does not permit Transfer-Encoding to appear on GET or HEAD requests.

The June "fix" was to have our "front door" servers simply skip adding the TE:Chunked to inbound GETs even if the H2 headers did not indicate there would be no body, allowing WinHTTP to forward the request without breaking.

WinHTTP continues to disallow TE:Chunked on GET/HEAD, and we believe that an issue very similar to the one described previously will also occur for servers running the IIS ARR load balancer software.

-Eric