Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7235 (6307)

I have to agree, though not for the reason that ABNF is case insensitive.
It’s trie that case mapping is quite dependent upon character sets (there’s
case distinction in Latin and Cyrillic, but not in, say, Hebrew or Chinese,
but it’s also dependent on language (consider the difference between
turning “i” into upper case in English and in Turkish).  And comparisons in
general are hard, with lots of other issues such as normalization,
variants, and such (do you want 中国 and 中國 to compare as equal or not?).

All of this is way out of scope for this document, and it’s certainly not
“errata”: the document never intended to cover this, so it wasn’t an
oversight.  If anyone thinks the HTTP specs should deal with these sorts of
issues, a new document to add to the suite would be the necessary approach.

Barry