RE: HTTP Alternative Services Best Practices?

Saying that “persist=false would be deleterious” is a bit simplistic.  You wouldn’t use persist=false for your scenarios, true enough.  Persist=true is intended for alternatives that aren’t derived from the user’s network location, and therefore don’t need to be flushed when the network location changes.  (For example, this host also supports QUIC.)

However, there are other scenarios where it is location-dependent – a CDN routing you to a closer node because DNS or Anycast didn’t get you close enough, for example.  If you change networks, not only is the node you were directed to no longer your closest, it might actually be prohibited from serving users on other networks.

The right answer here is that you need to know which type of Alt-Svc you’re issuing.

From: QUIC <quic-bounces@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Ryan Hamilton
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 3:24 PM
To: Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
Cc: QUIC WG <quic@ietf.org>; HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: HTTP Alternative Services Best Practices?

Thanks for raising this issue! I think documenting best practices/guidance would be a great idea. I think the Google servers advertise a 30 day expiration (because 24 hours is *really* short). Further, it turns out that Chrome implicitly assumes persist = true (because Chrome incorrectly doesn't implement persist = false). We have a bunch of deployment experience with this model which I think suggests that shorter ttls and persist = false would be have a deleterious impact on performance.