Re: HTTP Signing

Hi A.

Il giorno ven 22 nov 2019 alle ore 12:10 Richard Backman, Annabelle
<richanna@amazon.com> ha scritto:
> [..] flexibility regarding what protocol elements are covered by the signature,
> [..and ..] rigorous canonicalization language.
> [..] these two concepts are the key to success here.

Agree, though AWS4 serialization could avoid specifying payload serialization
and delegate it to Digest (see https://github.com/martinthomson/http-mice and
the resulting revision of
https://httpwg.org/http-extensions/draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers.html).
Serializing the payload body brings the same problems that affected Content-MD5
 https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues/93

> [..] produce a core signing specification that defines signature generation and validation
> without getting prescriptive about what elements get signed.
> That can then be profiled (here in http, in oauth, in OpenID FAPI, ...) as needed.

My experience with pre-11 draft-cavage resulted in insecure
implementations due to under-specification
about which fields to sign. Please see
https://github.com/w3c-dvcg/http-signatures/issues/35 between the
others.
While we can define the general procedures, we should provide a table
or something of required fields
thus avoiding to address issues in future docs (eg. see JWT and
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-bcp/).

> That core spec is what I am currently working on, starting from cavage.
> I hope to have an I-D ready to present to the working group for adoption before the end of this year.

It would be great to see your ongoing work!
I'm following the draft-cavage implementation
from some time now, and we should try to make some merge work.
I think we should take into consideration all the work done by
https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses.html.

Thanks for sharing
and have a nice day,
R.