Re: draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport questions

From: Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 07:52:21 +0200 (EET)
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
CC: Andy Green <andy@warmcat.com>, Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org>
> Putting datagram thing to one side, perhaps I missed it but it seems it
> doesn't buy anything compared to RFC8441:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8441/?include_text=1
>
> That already has the same idea of CONNECT-ing the stream to be
> different, non-http transport over stream DATA frames.  Although RFC8441
> is focused on transporting websockets, it defines an upgrade name
> registry so you can upgrade to something else (Section 9.2).

There is:

> 9.  IANA Considerations
>
> 9.1.  A New HTTP/2 Setting
>
>   This document registers an entry in the "HTTP/2 Settings" registry
>   that was established by Section 11.3 of [RFC7540].
>
>      Code: 0x8
>      Name: SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL
>      Initial Value: 0
>      Specification: This document
>
> 9.2.  A New HTTP Upgrade Token
>
>    This document registers an entry in the "HTTP Upgrade Tokens"
>    registry that was established by [RFC7230].
>
>       Value: websocket
>      Expected Version Tokens:

Well, draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport-01 seems do just that
( giving new upgrade token, as you suggest )

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport-01#section-3.1

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport-01#section-5

> 5.  IANA Considerations
>
>   This specification registers two entries in the "HTTP Upgrade Tokens"
>   registry that was established by [RFC7230].

What I missed ?

/ Kari Hurtta