Re: draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport questions

On 20/03/2019 18:05, Martin Thomson wrote:
> Lots to think about here.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for discussing it on the list.

> I have a few fairly basic questions about the goals of the draft.
>
> Why do you need to use both :protocol and a setting?  Isn't SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL plus the new values for :protocol enough?
>
> How does a :protocol of bytestream differ from a plan CONNECT?

Putting datagram thing to one side, perhaps I missed it but it seems it
doesn't buy anything compared to RFC8441:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8441/?include_text=1

That already has the same idea of CONNECT-ing the stream to be
different, non-http transport over stream DATA frames.  Although RFC8441
is focused on transporting websockets, it defines an upgrade name
registry so you can upgrade to something else (Section 9.2).

-Andy