Re: The Refresh header is still with us

From: Sebastiaan Deckers <sebdeckers83@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:38:44 +0800
To: Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@google.com>
Cc: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:54 AM Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@google.com> wrote:

> [...] but with such low usage, someone might be able to deprecate and
> remove usage of that header from browsers.

Is there a popularity cutoff % at which point we can break the web? As
stated, Refresh has 23+ years of real world use. Even ~1/5000 responses
(from a tiny 52M sample) is a huge amount on the scale of the web.

The Refresh header has niche but useful applications without obvious
(simple) substitutes. E.g. briefly showing interstitial web pages as a
graceful fallback when JavaScript is unavailable.