Re: HTTP/3 Prioritization Proposal

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <dtikhonov@litespeedtech.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 11:49:30 -0500
To: Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
Cc: Patrick Meenan <patmeenan@gmail.com>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:07:14PM +0900, Lucas Pardue wrote:
> With H3 we need to be slightly careful, IMO requests will be
> handled in the order of (received  + QPACK dependencies resolved).

This is a good point and something to keep in mind.

> The number of placeholders is a QUIC varint. The number of requests
> in a connection is limited by stream ID ( varint modulo 4). It
> might be possible to implement a Dmitri's tree design bit whether
> is logical is a different question...

By "Dmitri's tree design," do you mean "keeping a placeholder between
streams in the priority tree?"

I did think about what clients may use placeholders for when I was
writing the priority tree code and I realized that the recommended
value of 16 may be too low; you want something like 1:2 or even 1:1
placeholder/stream ratio.  Thus, we have a default of 50 instead
of 16.

I have been meaning to write up my thoughts on the matter, but
haven't gotten around to it yet.

  - Dmitri.

1. https://github.com/litespeedtech/lsquic-client/blob/b7abc05c2408af247a70b4cb69a5a197225549c4/include/lsquic.h#L296