Re: Cache Digests status

From: Sebastiaan Deckers <sebdeckers83@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:31:29 +0800
To: Loïc Hoguin <essen@ninenines.eu>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>, Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>, Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM Loïc Hoguin <essen@ninenines.eu> wrote:

> This draft seemed like a good solution to optimize PUSH and I was
> looking forward to it (mostly for server/API/mobile clients). Are there
> any plans for an alternative?

Browser native support is lacking but I have recently been using Cuckoo
Filters purely on the server side to avoid repeated push_promise on the
same connection. Found it to be quite effective. [1] Others in the Node.js
community expressed interest in CD. Ironically the main concern, from
discussion, was the Experimental status of the CD RFC. Since Node.js does
not expose a low level API to HTTP/2 frames it is impossible (afaik?) to
implement the spec properly at this time. Not sure about other popular
frameworks/languages and their HTTP/2 implementations. Perhaps affordance
could be made in the spec to use headers instead of custom frames. Or maybe
implementors of HTTP/2 could be encouraged to expose frame-level access,
just like custom HTTP header fields, to allow more experimentation.

1. https://gitlab.com/commonshost/server/merge_requests/35/diffs