Re: Activity Identifiers - Draft Submission

Hi Scott,

An “Activity Id”, “Correlation Token”, “Request Id”, etc (I’ve seen the custom header called many things over the years and I will be updating the draft to include specific examples) absolutely _could_ be implemented using cookies, in a similar way that it tends to be implemented using custom headers. However, firstly, my understanding of cookies is that they are meant as a mechanism for storing/maintaining state _across_ stateless requests whereas this use case is more about storing metadata pertaining to the specific request/response pair and secondly this would still require the cookie key to be well-known to the client and all services in the request chain.

I do realise (and it has been pointed out) that my draft lacks some detail, references and examples, which I will rectify 😊

The primary purpose is to propose a standardised mechanism for API implementers to use as a request flows through potentially a number of services (which often include third-parties that also ask for some form of activity identifier). The value of this header is very typically used in the implementation of idempotent behaviour, request level root cause analysis and activity tracking through services. This _could_ be defined as a well-known cookie, but as this is something that I’ve seen in so many services over the years (almost always implemented as a custom header with an arbitrary name) it feels like it deserves its own, standardised header.

I am, of course, happy to be corrected on any of the above. As I said before, I’m new to this and although I’ve read, referenced and implemented many RFCs over the years, everyone in this WG has _much_ more experience defining and discussing these things than me!

Thanks,
Scott