Re: Structured Headers: URI type (#782)

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 07:35:43 -0400
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> On May 9, 2019, at 2:02 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> PS: Reminds me: Why does ABNF not have an 'import' facility ?
>
> This would be much clearer:
>
> 	import token68 from [RFC7235]
>
> Than (from 7540):
>
> 	The ABNF [RFC5234] production for "token68" is defined in
> 	Section 2.1 of [RFC7235].

I've often wondered why the IETF doesn't publish the ABNF for RFCs someplace, e.g., "https://tools.ietf.org/abnf/rfcNNNN", so that such imports are not only possible but then automated tools can pull an official ABNF (with any typographical corrections applied that might slip through the RFC publication process) for use in validation, etc.

We started doing that for IPP specifications several years ago and it has been very useful in validating attribute values, etc.