Re: Final DATA frames

TLDR: If the focus is on shipping v1 and making sure we don't introduce
premature optimizations into HTTP/3, I thInk we should seriously consider
moving PUSH and the existing priorities to an extension.

It's too late on this issue, but I was going to add that this is very
useful for the CONNECT case.  Other comments below.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 12:46 PM Roberto Peon <fenix@fb.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I’m aware, having helped to write at least some of them with you and
> others here as partners!
>
> It isn’t like I hate optimization-- I’m just really scared of having to
> deal with this gone wrong. History has proven it is very likely that
> someone won’t get this right, and then protocol features will stop working,
> and pain will ensue, and the protocol will be less useful.

Why won't they get THIS right?  Your example below of PUSH_PROMISE is not
convincing, given the one proxy I am familiar with puts all PUSH_PROMISEs
before the response.

> If we could put the header/payload into separate streams, then that’d be a
> step forward along a path to enabling such optimization (and compatible
> with the additional changes you’d need to handle PP)
>
> … but I don’t want to think about that for V1.

I'll note this is strictly more complex to implement.

> I’d rather get what we have now done, and look at further optimizations in
> a V2 that we get out the door after a very short time window.
> -=R

This issue is/was not blocking us getting QUIC V1 done, particularly the
HTTP draft.  There are things we could simplify that would help the HTTP
draft along, such as moving priorities and PUSH to extensions.