Re: HTTP redirect section draft-ietf-httpbis-bcp56bis-08

On 2018-11-13 10:12, Ori Finkelman wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> This draft seems a good place to clarify to redirection issues we have
> discussed in HTTPbis and how they are used wrongly in HLS and DASH clients.
> Reading the "Redirection" section 4.6.1 of this draft it is does not
> clarify that a a user agent that automatically followed a redirect
> should treat that a request as a new request and not as an "extension"
> of the original request, and therefore the base URI of the retrieved
> object is the final retrieval URI.

FWIW, and AFAIU, the only real confusion mentioned in your report was
about mixing up "embedding a URI (reference)" with "embedding a
resource" (which has nothing to do with redirects at all).

Also, can you point out any language in existing specs that makes it
sound as if the base URI is not the request URI of the final request
after redirects?

Best regards, Julian