Re: Fixing cookies (Re: Some half-baked thoughts about cookies.)

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 3:14 AM Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> Quite the opposite in fact : asking *is* useful, it's what pisses off
> users and encourages sites to be careful not to piss them off. You just
> want to ask this when it's above the configured threshold.

Asking has a real cost and we are very careful not to do that if we
believe that it will result in bad answers.

How many people would be inclined to click on a blue box that said
"Acknowledge" next to a notice that was framed as a cookie warning
that instead said:

"This site uses cookies.  We make every effort to use best practices
for building this site to modern privacy standards, but we also sell
all the information we collect such as names, addresses, and credit
card details to anyone we please, a list of whom you can find
described in more detail in our lengthy _privacy policy_.  [
Acknowledge   ]".

Who would believe that this comprised meaningful consent to those practices?