Re: Issue with draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets-07 (in RFC Editor queue)

Good question.

* RFC6455's title is "The WebSocket Protocol", and that seems to be used _fairly_ consistently in the spec's prose.
* A few places in 6455 refer to it as "WebSockets".
* The WHATWG HTML spec (which appears to be authoritative for the API) has a section title of "Web sockets", and the interface is called "WebSocket", which seems to be used consistently in the rest of the prose. <https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/web-sockets.html#network>
* The URI scheme registry uses "WebSocket". <https://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/uri-schemes.xhtml>
* The HTTP upgrade token registry uses "The Web Socket Protocol" <https://www.iana.org/assignments/http-upgrade-tokens/http-upgrade-tokens.xhtml>
* RFC7692 uses "WebSocket" very consistently.
* The IANA WebSocket protocol registries seem to use "WebSocket" consistently.

This specification <https://httpwg.org/http-extensions/draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets.html> uses "WebSockets" and "WebSocket" and "The WebSocket Protocol", but uses "websocket" in the actual upgrade.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/