Re: Thoughts on HELIUM/HiNT

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 6:16 AM Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is interesting work and a direction that has some promise.  Its
> effect on consolidation [1] is something that needs consideration, but
> some of the effects of that consolidation promise to have some
> positive outcomes.
>
> However, I don't think that this is an HTTP working group item, and
> nor should it be.  I think that this needs to concentrate on
> lower-layer primitives than what HTTP currently provides.

I think it's both.

There's definitely a big piece of lower-layer work that probably shouldn't
happen in HTTP.  However, the goal is to build something that is firmly
embedded in HTTP.  For example, some of our ideas would require defining
new HTTP/2 frame types.  At a minimum, I think we need to check whether the
HTTP WG is reasonably supportive before we start the work in earnest.

Perhaps the chairs have advice on how to structure these initial
discussions.

Discussion of part of this on the DISPATCH agenda, which is good.  I
> would prefer to see this taken on in a new working group.

That does seem like a good option.