Re: New Version Notification for draft-jjmb-httpbis-trusted-traffic-00.txt

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:13 AM Lou Steinberg <lou@ctminsights.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben (et al) -
>
> Just an update.  Still working on getting our test up and running, just
> need to fight through some issues we ran into with our proxy as an alt
> service.  Browser and origin seem to be doing what we need.

Great.  Feel free to contact me directly if you have non-standards-relevant
issues, to avoid unnecessary traffic on the working group list.

While we have a punch list of things to check, the main one is whether our
> transparent proxy (alt service) needs to host a certificate for the
> origin.  I suspect we will be able to get the proxy to forward one from the
> origin, if necessary, but need to be sure.
>
> The reason for my concern about the alt service having an origin cert is
> that RFC 7838 says:
>
>    Importantly, this includes its security context; in particular, when
>    TLS [RFC5246 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5246>] is used to authenticate, the alternative service will
>    need to present a certificate for the origin's host name, not that of
>    the alternative.
>
> Yes, this is correct.  However, if your transparent proxy acts as a TCP
bytestream forwarder, which seems consistent with your design goals, it
doesn't need to host any certificate at all.

(The SNI Alt-Svc proposal does relax this requirement somewhat: if the
client doesn't get the origin's certificate immediately, it can try again
using Secondary Certificate Authentication.  I think this is not relevant
to your use case.)