Re: Underscores

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 2:43 PM Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 5/11/2018 10:16 PM, Mike Bishop wrote:
> > Given that the document hasn't yet been adopted, there's plenty of room
> > for adjustments before last call. 😉
>
> Oh good...
>

> > Personally, so long as there's a way to go from an HTTP origin to a DNS
> > lookup, I'm amenable to just about any encoding that makes DNSop happy.
>
> Well, I'm a visitor to that working group, though I'm authoring the
> drafts.  So I can't presume to speak for the working group.  But in
> terms of pragmatics, I think adapting the type of language I've put
> forward for SRV and URI meta-specifications out to work.
>
> The essential change in thinking, for the dns-alt-svc document, is to
> refer to the global (right-most) _underscored name conceptually as a
> 'scheme', but then direct its explicit listing in the new global
> underscore node name registry.

OK.  I think there would be two relevant changes:

1. In Section 2 (the record type description), add:

The scheme SHOULD be a member of both the IANA URI Schemes Registry
[RFC7595]
and the IANA DNS Underscore Global Scoped Entry Registry [Attrleaf].  The
scheme
SHOULD be one for which Alt-Svc is defined (currently "http" or "https").

2. In the IANA considerations section, add

This draft directs IANA to add "http" and "https" to the IANA DNS
Underscore Global
Scoped Entry Registry [Attrleaf].  Any future draft that extends Alt-Svc to
additional
schemes SHOULD add those schemes to this registry as well.

Does that look right to you?