Re: Questions and comments about draft-ietf-httpbis-replay-00

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <bkaduk@akamai.com> wrote:
> "In some deployments the TLS server functionality is provided by a cluster
> or pool of independent machines that share credentials and key material for
> server authentication and session resumption, subject to some form of load
> balancing.  In order to safely process early data before the handshake
> completes, such deployments also need to share a common algorithm for
> determining whether a given HTTP request is safe to begin processing before
> the handshake completes.  A server MUST NOT act on early data before the
> handshake completes if it belongs to such a cluster or pool and there is not
> such an agreed algorithm for determining request safety.

I don't think this is sufficient: the agreed-upon algorithm could be
to accept if the server IP is odd and reject if the server IP is even,
but that would violate the consistency constraint.

I think we want something like "A server MUST NOT act on early data
before the handshake completes if it and another server in the same
cluster or pool could, given the same early data, disagree on whether
to process that data prior to handshake completion or not."

Kyle