Re: Skipping DNS resolutions with ORIGIN frame

Hey Ryan, thanks for the comments.

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Ryan Hamilton <rch@google.com> wrote:

> . It is crystal clear that saving DNS resolutions represents a real
> performance win, especially for long-tail users.

I want to re-emphasize here that I believe a perhaps larger win here is the
privacy implication of a lookup never made - especially when combined with
secondary certificates and exported authentiactors (still to come to h2).
This achieves much of what encrypted SNI could do.

My first question is would you be ok with just loosening the draft language
a little bit.. i.e. instead of saying must not consult DNS, define this in
a way that it is the client's decision.

As I've said before, I don't think the DNS is providing any real value here
now that ORIGIN is playing the role of traffic routing. Indeed it is
creating a privacy cost - so I'm eager to get it out of the loop.

If we can't get consensus on that I'd prefer some kind of stapled assertion
that kept the perf and privacy properties of the current draft. I guess
that could be dnssec though that would certainly limit use for imo limited
value.. I'm not sure I fully understand what you're thinking of wrt
expect-ct -does it fit that model?

-Patrick