Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-httpbis-retry-01.txt

> On 2 Feb 2017, at 12:26 pm, Tom Bergan <tombergan@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>
> > On 2 Feb 2017, at 7:41 am, Tom Bergan <tombergan@chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Applications sometimes want requests to be retried by
> > > infrastructure, but can't easily express them in a non-idempotent
> > > request (such as GET).
> >
> > nit: did you mean "in an idempotent request (such as GET)"?
>
> Thanks, fixed in source.
>

> > > A client SHOULD NOT automatically retry a failed automatic retry.
> >
> > Why does RFC 7230 say this? I am aware of HTTP clients that completely ignore this suggestion, and I can't offhand think of a reason why this is a good rule-of-thumb to follow.
>
> Good question. The immediate answer is that RFC2616 said it, and RFC2068 said it before that (and apparently introduced the requirement).
>
> If we end up revising the text regarding retries, that's something we should consider updating too.
>
> Maybe it there was a concern about accidental DoS? Infinite retries are probably a bad idea without exponential backoff.

I suspect so. This algorithm doesn't seem to match reality, as you point out, and so we'd need to either specify a different one, or just loosen it to a more general requirement.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/