Re: Demultiplexing HTTP and DNS on the same listener [New Version Notification for draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http-02]

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
wrote:

> Ah!  Thanks for this heads-up.  That's definitely an interesting
> wrinkle.  How does this interact with HTTP/1 clients connecting to the
> service?  or is it only possible to do this because of the negotiated
> ALPN?

alpn - that's how http/2 is bootstrapped

> If so, perhaps the demuxing needs to be done only when not sending an
> alpn of "h2", and the draft can drop the HTTP/2 section.  What do you
> think?

the http/1 share of https:// traffic is dwindling fast. Its down to about
1/3 of https for me. So if you're looking to hide in a big pool, that's a
shrinking segment.

imo its a bigger problem because any rfc that required h1 would
dis-incentivize h2 which is something the IETF should surely not want to do
for many reasons.