Re: Genart last call review of draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding-08

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 16:49:12 +1000
To: Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>
Cc: "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding.all@ietf.org, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Thanks Pete,

On 6 April 2017 at 15:52, Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com> wrote:
>       A "keyid" parameter SHOULD be a UTF-8
>       [RFC3629] encoded string, particularly where the identifier
> might
>       need to appear in a textual form.
>
> I presume that simply means "might need to be rendered" and does not
> include "might need to be typed in by someone", correct? The former is
> easy; the latter probably requires a bit more text.

Indeed.  Until we have a good copy-and-paste version of the Unicode
typed/spoken/interpretive-danced input problem for security
identifiers, it is not a goal to have specifications casually tackling
problems that are outside their (and maybe anyone's) capabilities.

I made the suggested change in the editor's copy.