Re: Unicode escape sequence | Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-00, unicode range

> On 23 Dec. 2016, at 11:13 am, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
> --------
> In message <C8F21FA8-8B03-4E9C-B0E8-CD3C9CF028CE@mnot.net>, Mark Nottingham wri
> tes:
>
>> And, as discussed previously, there aren't a lot of use cases for
>> non-ASCII header values in standards (because few have a payload that's
>> exposed to end users), so the reward for taking that risk is
>> questionable.
>
> But isn't that an almost circular[1] argument, when there is no
> safe standardized way to put non-ASCII into header values in the
> first place ?

There is -- RFC5987 encoding. Not pretty or efficient, but implemented and interoperable. Used in Content-Disposition, Link (although not much), and not much else AFAIK (Julian?).

Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/