Re: HTTP/2 examples SHOULD use :authority

Alex, you are right to observe that the examples in the document could
have been better.

There was a long discussion about this and the ultimate conclusion was
to recommend :authority over host.  However that never made the
examples section.

We did not mandate use of :authority so that proxies and gateways
could provide perfect fidelity in their translation from 1.1 to 2.

If you interpret the examples as conversions, then they are correct in
that the fidelity is preserved (as Kari points out).  However, I don't
believe that to be the primary purpose of examples in this
specification.

If we were able to make a change, I would indeed change the examples
to use :authority, but include a note that said that - in the case of
a direct conversion from 1.1 - "host" would be used instead.