[expect-ct] Is expect-ct policy intended for long-term use? (plus: no user recourse)

Emily wrote:
 > I anticipate Expect-CT to be useful more than a year and less than 5
 > years. Within 1-2 years, I expect/hope several browsers will be
 > requiring CT for all new certificates. They can still implement
 > Expect-CT to protect sites against backdating and against
 > certificates that were issued before the date that they started
 > requiring CT for all new certs.

ok, by "they" you mean UAs, yes?

 > Once a browser is requiring CT for *all* certificates (e.g. because
 > the maximum validity period has elapsed beyond the date that the
 > browser began requiring CT for all new certs), then I don't think
 > Expect-CT is useful for that browser anymore.

by implication you mean "useful" for a server (aka "relying party" (RP))
and user, yes?

because what we are protecting here is not so much the browser (vendor)
but the RP and user, yes?

I could see Expect-CT to be useful for the longer term if it were to
signal additional RP-desired selective UA behavior such as "no user
recourse", *if* the browsers were not going to implement such behavior,
e.g., as a a matter of course in the case of errors during secure
connection establishment.

=JeffH