Re: JFV and Common Structure specifications

--------
In message <CABkgnnXwOOmv3sJKrufs19ErUNA65iMm32aypRBH=z+F8mWGSQ@mail.gmail.com>, Martin Thomson writes:
>On 22 November 2016 at 20:51, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

>Let's not talk about policy and instead concentrate on cost-benefit.
>Mark has summarized the costs quite well, I think.  I would go further
>and point out that a recursive syntax with quoting cannot have
>elements that are skipped by a parser, which I find results in simply
>externalizing those costs.

Have you ever implemented SOM, EOM and EOT according to spec in any
of the programs you have written to deal with ASCII text ?

No ?

So can we agree that the cost of those three ASCII characters have
been very close to zero for you ?

Just because a standard contains an extension point, does not mean
you have to implement that extension - unless you actively decides
to use it.

And I keep repeating:  There should be no recursion in IETF defined
HTTP headers, but we should leave the extension there for end-to-end
usage.