Re: RIP: Crypto-Key header field

On 2016-11-21 04:56, Martin Thomson wrote:
> As we discussed in the meeting (and before that, on the list), I've
> created a PR to remove the Crypto-Key header field.  As a result, the
> document is much, much smaller and cleaner.
>
> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/271
>
> There was also a comment about how to pad.  I ripped off some text
> from other protocols:
>
> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/272
>
> In the spirit of "you know when you are done when there is nothing
> left to remove", I think we are ready.  I'll give people a chance to
> read these, then post a new revision.

I remain a bit concerned about the vagueness with respect to key
dictionaries. I understand why we don't specify them here precisely, but
then any other spec that makes use of them will have to do the extra work.

Specifically:

1) The way "keyid" is currently specified makes it an octet sequence,
that may or may not be valid UTF-8 and could even include NUL. Is that
really the intention? We've seen the consequences of this with ALPN
identifiers, which required us to define a funky escaping mechanism in
alt-svc, so we could put them into places that take strings. This not
only affects related specs, but also APIs for code that handles
encryption encoding (such as: what's the datatype for the key in
dictionaries?)

2) Is there a notion of uniqueness? Can there be multiple dictionaries,
which might contain different information for the same keyid? What's the
suggest behavior when there's more than one? Pick first? Pick first that
works?

3) Is there any spec that uses encryption encoding and uses
dictionaries? If so, how does it interface with key dictionaries?

Best regards, Julian