Re: WiSH: A General Purpose Message Framing over Byte-Stream Oriented Wire Protocols (HTTP)

I'd like to share the feedback on WiSH from IETF 97.

----

Due to limited time, I got just one on-site comment from Martin about
comparison with Server-sent event (EventSource).

As mentioned in the I-D, yes, this is kinda full-duplex SSE with the WS
framing, and it might suffer from unexpected buffering by intermediaries if
any as Martin said.

WiSH should work well for deployment with TLS only (possibly with some
non-TLS part beyond server side front-end but are under control of the
service providers). Given the wide trend of encouraging TLS and browser
vendors' implementation status of H2, I think we should prioritize layering
simplicity than taking care of gain of WiSH/H2/TCP + transparent proxy
(with unexpected buffering) case. For H2-less TLS-less environment, we can
just use the WebSocket protocol.

There can still be some risk of MITM (trusted) proxy and unexpected
buffering with AntiVirus/Firewall for deployment with TLS, but other
WebSocket/H2 mapping proposals also have issues of possible blocking,
buffering, etc. WebSocket/TCP's handshake success rate for non-TLS port 80
was also not so good when it started getting deployed, and got improved
gradually. I think the problems will get resolved once WiSH is accepted
widely, and I believe the total pain and cost would be smaller.

----

Mark suggested that we should find some other right place than HTTP WG.
I'll discuss this with Mark. Maybe we'll consult the DISPATCH WG.

----

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Takeshi