Re: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-early-hints-status-code-00.txt

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just posted a new I-D named "An HTTP Status Code for Indicating
> Hints".
>
> The draft can be found at
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kazuho-early-hints-status-code/
> A prettified editor's copy can be found at https://kazuho.github.io/
> early-hints/
>
> The draft proposes a new _informational_ status code that can be used
> for indicating hints to help a client start making preparations for
> processing the final response, while the server struggles to build the
> final response.
>
> Actually, we already have a working implementation. H2O, our HTTP/2
> server, recognizes Link: rel=preload headers within an informational
> response sent from upstream, and tries to push the specified resource.
> One reason I decided to write this draft is because I believe it would
> be better to standardize the mechanism.
>
> But I also believe that having support for this status code within the
> web browsers is beneficial as well.
>
> For example, the proposed status code can be used by edge servers to
> notify the client the existence of third-party resources while the
> request is processed by an upstream server. It can also be used as an
> alternative to H2 push on a bandwidth-constrained network.
>
> In short, I consider the proposed method as a good complement to H2 push.
>
> Please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance.

​Thank you for working on this.
Our nghttp2 nghttpx proxy has supported this feature since this April.  So
we have 2 proxy implementations already​.
​At the moment, I'm not aware of any application server/framework​ that
allows developers to send non-final response.
But if they are interested in this draft, and find it useful, things may
change rapidly.

​Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa​