Quick review for draft-svirid-websocket2-over-http2 (Was: Re: Draft HTTPbis Agenda For Seoul IETF 97)

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:03:18AM -0400, Van Catha wrote:
> I am particularly interest in the future of 2 way binary streaming.  So the
> topics of WebSocket, Streams API and other related. I have even put forward
> a draft related to the WebSocket part.
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-svirid-websocket2-over-http2/

Some quick review comments:

- The handshake seems to negotiate compression and then the frames
  contain compression method indicator. Are there really multiple
  compression methods available on per-frame basis, or should the
  compression just be 1 bit (compressed or not)?
- The abbrevations in frame diagram are bit difficult to understand
  (have those be expanded in above text?).
- Somebody needs to try what this does against many HTTP/2 origins
  that don't support WebSockets2 and against intermediaries with
  custom server that actually supports it. Just to see what the
  heck happens (if it is nasty, one might need to use SETTINGS to
  signal support, either for WebSockets directly or for some sort
  of strict scheme).
- What is "valid UTF-8" exactly? E.g. does it contain encodings for
  Unicode noncharacters?

-Ilari