Re: Clarification of dynamic table size change

​Hi,​

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Bence Béky <bnc@chromium.org> wrote:

> [...]
> think
> about the HPACK context to be created before the connection preface is
> sent,
> with a default maximum dynamic table size of 4 kB?  Note that there is no
> synchronization issue even in the former case: if the decoder only evicts
> dynamic table entries above 64 kB from the very beginning, there is no
> harm in
> the encoder not starting to reference entries above 4 kB until it
> processes the
> decoder's initial SETTINGS frame.
>
> Suppose that the encoder does not emit a "dynamic table size update" HPACK
> instruction after this.  The consensus on this e-mail thread seems to be
> that
> this is acceptable as long as the encoder means "no change" to the maximum
> dynamic table size.  It is, however, important that the encoder and the
> decoder
> are in agreement about the initial maximum dynamic table size, relative to
> which
> the encoder means "no change".  For example, if the decoder is under the
> impression that the maximum dynamic table size is 4 kB, while the encoder
> takes
> it to be 64 kB, then the decoder will signal a CONNECTION_ERROR as soon as
> the
> encoder references an entry above 4 kB.  If, on the other hand, the encoder
> thinks it's 4 kB and never references entries above that, then the decoder
> would
> waste memory if it kept 64 kB worth of entries.
>
> Given that a decoder can send a SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE with a value
> lower
> than the default, and the encoder can start compressing headers before
> receiving
> the initial SETTINGS frame, it seems necessary to me to understand the
> initial
> maximum dynamic table size to be 4 kB, and to require the decoder to store
> this
> much entries until it receives the dynamic table size update HPACK
> instruction
> from the encoder.  Otherwise a COMPRESSION_ERROR arises due to the
> synchronization issue even if the peers agree that the initial size is the
> new
> (lower) value.  Unless, of course,  we want to formulate different
> requirements
> depending on whether the SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE value is greater than
> or
> less than the default.
>
> If I implement a decoder in this spirit, that is, one that sends a
> SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE of 64 kB in the initial SETTINGS frame, but
> does not
> allow more than default memory for the dynamic table until it receives a
> dynamic
> table size update from the encoder, would it be incompatible with anybody's

According to this thread, ​I'm under impression ​that this is OK, and until
you get dynamic table size update, default 4KiB dynamic table limit still
applies.

As for initial value of dynamic table size, I think it is 4KiB regardless
of SETTINGS.  We create HTTP/2 session before doing any parameter
modification, including header table size change.  At this moment, table
size if 4KiB, RFC default.  After that, decoder send
SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE with whatever value they want.  Then after
SETTINGS ACK, and HPACK table size update, dynamic table size is finally
synchronized, and changed to the value encoder sent in HPACK table size
update (as long as it is equal or smaller than decoder sent in SETTINGS).

Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa