Re: [tcpm] TCP Tuning for HTTP - update

This is a bit of a side track, but...

On 8/17/2016 3:51 PM, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> [...]

That's only the first time you go somewhere new. You don't need to close
both ports so quickly; the control channel can stay open and you thus
avoid HOL blocking between data and control (and thus the need to
chunk-and-mux within persistent HTTP), which increases other delays for
HTTP.

Neither protocol matches exactly what is really needed for a true
transaction-oriented protocol.

> Then try adding all the firewall issues due to transmitting data
> connection endpoint information over the control connection and it's
> no surprise FTP is not favoured for downloads.

FTP had a passive mode even back then that avoids this issue. It also
had suspend/resume, compression, and format conversion.

Joe