Re: Frames that manipulate set-based peer state

> On 19 Jul 2016, at 11:22 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 19 July 2016 at 11:01, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>> - COMPETE indicates that the frame that carries it represents the complete, current state of the set at the time of sending, to help receiving implementations understand whether more frames are outstanding.
>
> or is it the LAST message and that the accumulated state represents
> the entire set?

I think we're talking about the difference between:

a) indicating that, as of time of generation, the frames sent represent a complete set, but that it might be added to later
b) indicating that the set is complete for the rest of the lifetime of the connection

Correct?

If so, (b) seems like the client is committing to never change the set after a certain point, with the only recourse being GOAWAY. I crafted (a) like it is because I think the intent is to avoid a recipient using the set when more are in flight towards it; of course, it doesn't completely avoid the race condition, it's more like a hint.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/