Re: FYI: Chrome plans to ship an implementation of same-site cookies.

> On Mar 25, 2016, at 11:04 AM, Phil Lello <phil@dunlop-lello.uk> wrote:
> IMHO announcing the release into the wild while saying "I think they're solidly enough defined to ship and let folks begin experimenting with. We plan on pushing them out the door in Chrome ~51" implies Informational Status, since it 'does not represent an Internet community consensus or recommendation' and does not meet the Proposed Standard requirement of 'generally stable, has resolved known design choices, is believed to be well-understood, has received significant community review' if it's released for experimentation - once it's shipped, it's a de facto standard.

No, that isn't even remotely true.  HTTP itself had three years of deployment before
the IETF started working on the protocol definition. The standards track reflects where we
intend a given protocol to be in the future, not the status of ongoing implementations and
deployment of that protocol, and whether or not the protocol becomes a de facto standard
in the mean time is largely unrelated to the stability of its corresponding specification here.

Proposed Standard means the specification is still in flux, regardless of the protocol status.
We want both working code and rough consensus, not just one or the other, in order to
further validate and progress our specifications.

....Roy