Re: Call for Adoption: TCP Tuning for HTTP

On 7/03/2016 2:17 p.m., Leif Hedstrom wrote:

>> On Mar 1, 2016, at 10:46 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> [ copying Alison as our Transport Tech Advisor ]
>>
>> Daniel has kindly started a document about how HTTP uses TCP, both for /1 and /2:
>>  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenberg-httpbis-tcp>
>>
>> We haven't explicitly discussed this at a meeting, but I have heard interest in this topic from a variety of folks.
>>
>> What do people think about adopting this with a target of Best Current Practice?
>>
>> Please comment on-list.
>

> +1 on adopting this as a BCP.
>
> I think its focus / bias towards Linux has to be addressed, which requires input / feedback from other OS vendors of course. But the adoption of this draft would likely help such efforts significantly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> — leif

+1 "me too".

In regards to OS-specific things, I am somewhat against making it have
any at all. The most desirable outcome of this draft would not be that
admin can find what to tune for HTTP, but that TCP would evolve so we
dont have to tune at all. Don't forget that HTTP applications require
many different protocols all working together over the same transport(s)
to be efficient. Tuning just for one wont help much.

Along the lines of the FQ-Codel work done by the buffer bloat guys (some
of what will be relevant here) having a strong and fair underlying
transport can make the whole system more efficient.

Amos