Re: Cookies: Integration with external specs.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Hey Mike,
>
> On 18 Jan 2016, at 8:09 pm, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > While we have the cookies spec open, I think we should take a closer
> look at how that specification interacts with others. In particular, two
> things come to mind:
> >
> > * We should formalize the integration with Fetch (see step 11.1 of
> https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#http-network-or-cache-fetch and 9.3 of
> https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#http-network-fetch).
>
> What changes in the RFC would be necessary to do this?

This would boil down to:

* a light refactoring of https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6265#section-5.2
away from "When the user agent receives a Set-Cookie header field in an
HTTP response", towards something more like a "Process a `Set-Cookie`
header" algorithm that Fetch can pass the header value into explicitly.

* A thin shim on top of the "cookie string" algorithm that actually sets
the header for a Request. This could live in Fetch, I suppose, but seems
better positioned in the Cookie spec.

I can put together a brief I-D spelling out these changes.

-mike